Geeks With Blogs

News View Robert Porter's profile on LinkedIn

I am a Project Manager and Developer with an emphasis on Enterprise Content Management and Business Process Management systems.

With over 20 years of experience in large and small systems design and implementation. Currently based in the Raleigh NC area.

The views expressed here are my own, and do not necessarily represent the views of my clients and employers.

BlogOfBob Read:Learn:Contribute:Repeat

I recently switched to Time Warner's Business Class Internet Service in my home. Previously I had Consumer grade RoadRunner service also from TWC. In my original configuration I had the TWC Cable Modem to which I connected a Wireless Router from D-Link (DIR-600). I connected the Ethernet cable from the cable modem to the WAN port on the D-Link router.  All was well, I could connect wireless devices to the router, and wired devices as well via the 4 port switch built into the D-Link. Untitled, 9/30/03, 2:10 PM,  8C, 2116x2559 (1054+1311), 62%, bent 6 stops,  1/25 s, R78.8, G55.6, B58.0

Now along comes business class service, which included a new Cable Modem/Router combo, which was an SMC8014-TWC device. I was not home when the installation took place, and when I got home the D-Link was connected to the new SMC router via an Ethernet cable from a switched port on the back of the SMC to the WAN port on the D-Link. Chaos ensued as neither of my children could connect to the internet and therefor were in imminent danger of having their social lives implode!

The D-Link could no longer reach the internet, and therefor neither could anything else connected to it. My solution was as follows and I hope it is helpful to someone out there.

The SMC device had an internal IP address of with a subnet mask of the D-Link, initially had an internal IP address of with a subnet mask of

So first things first, I disconnected the WAN port on the D-Link, and connected my laptop to it via wired cable directly into one of the 4 switched 10-24-2010 10-26-00 AMports. I then changed the Routers internal IP address to (I also changed the DHCP address range it was giving out to be to




I reconnected the D-Link to the SMC by the Ethernet cable but this time not via the WAN port, instead via one of the switched ports. Then I went to all of the computers attached to the D-Link and made sure they were using as their gateway address and as their DNS address and everything came back up. I accomplished that by disabling and then re-enabling the local area connection on each which caused them to renew their IP configuration from the DHCP server.




Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2010 2:53 PM | Back to top

Comments on this post: Joining a Wireless Router to a Wired Router

# re: Joining a Wireless Router to a Wired Router
Requesting Gravatar...
I had this problem at a client site. Will try to follow your steps and report back with progress. Thank you for the tip.
Left by kenohki on Feb 23, 2012 2:57 PM

Your comment:
 (will show your gravatar)

Copyright © Bob Porter | Powered by: